See the libguide Art 101: Art Cave Painting to pre Rennaissance
Try searching under the period of art that you are studying, for example
or try under the wider cultural region such as
or even by country such as
Tips for Searching...
- Keep your search terms simple. For example: Earth art, reverse glass painting, Dadaism, etc. Using sentences or long phrases can result in poor results.
- Better search terms: You'll see every article is tagged with subjects describing the article. Try matching your search terms to these subject terms to get better results.
- Narrow your results: You will often receive hundreds (if not thousands) of articles in your search, focus your results to make it MUCH easier to find what you need! Here's two ways to do this...
- Use the left column to "Refine Results":
- Selecting "Available in Print + Online" limits the list to articles you can access now.
- Publication date can limit articles to a specific time period.
- Source type allows you to limit the search to just magazines, academic journals, books, etc.
- Subject shows common subjects within your search.
- Click "show more" for additional options within each category.
- "AND": Use the word "AND" to connect two ideas in your search such as "India AND miniatures" It will limit your search to only articles that have both terms in common.
- You can use both of these methods together!
- Email articles: When you click an article title, you'll see "email" in the right column. This method will include the option to include an APA or MLA citation!